From Introduction to Computing
Introduction To Computing
This wikibook is introduces computational thinking and data science through:
- Learning to obtain data sets from the Internet.
- Learning about how to use spreadsheets to manage data. This wikibook uses Google Sheets as its example spreadsheet tool.
- Learning to clean data by finding bad items and either fixing them or eliminating them.
- Learning to create summary tables that include statistics about the data.
- Learning to visualize data in bar charts, line charts, and scatter plots.
- Learn to use data to simulate things like people's behavior at a party, effects on global warming, and the spread of disease.
- Learning to tell a data story that uses your analysis of the data to answer questions and prove a hypothesis.
- Learning to program in Python, a popular programming language among scientists, game developers, and web developers.
- Learning to use Python to:
- Convert data formats, such as from JSON format to CSV format.
- Obtain data using the application programmer interface (API) of real-time data feeds like that of the New York Stock Exchange or of Twitter
- Clean data
- Analyze data with statistics
- Produce charts and graphs
The chapters are linked on the left navigation bar.